Friday, September 24, 2010

Music, Sweet Music, There'll Be Music Everywhere...

One thing good about being on steroids, is that my energy level is back up. I can actually lift the P-Bass, something I couldn't do a few months ago. For the last few months, I've kept a guitar in the living room next to the couch so I could pick it up and play it whenever I could. Slowly it's coming back. I bought a couple of instruction videos for playing Chicago style blues guitar and I'm working with them.

The other night I went to Tuatha practice. We have some gigs coming up, but the substitute bass player will be taking care of the low notes. We played the songs that I don't play bass on and then got out my slide and kind of noodled in the background. It was fun! Maybe I can do that at some of the upcoming shows.

For the last couple of Mondays Paul, Tom & the Green Band have gotten together. The band consists of Tom Surace on fretless bass, Deb Braynt on drums and myself playing acoustic guitar. Everyone sings. It's a groovy little combo playing a lot of "Reefer Music" from the '20's to the present as well as some country-blues, folk-rock and original material. Think early Hot Tuna as a rough analog.

We thought of adding a fourth member, but it sounds good as is. We're going to carry on as a trio until the right person comes along. Ideally that would be someone who sings and plays a solid rhythm acoustic guitar but also plays fiddle, accordion, Dobro or ???

I think we'll be gigging soon. A My Space and/or Facebook page will be forthcoming.

It feels good to be making music again.

No comments: