Sunday, March 6, 2011

Music News Update

I have left the band Tuatha, at least as far as playing with them on a regular basis. While my health continues to improve, I still don't have the energy that is required to keep up. They practice twice a week, and there are festivals that require camping, and I'm just not up for it. They have been nice enough to invite me to sit in from time to time, so I can see that happening. It's been a good ride. We created that band from nothing. Got together, fleshed out things William had and some things Traci had some too and we and wrote most everything else. Recorded a kick-ass CD produced by Tierro Lee of Kan'nal. I feel very grateful to have those opportunities.

Two days after I left, Tuatha, I got a call from Mary from Lalla Rookh, the Celtic band I've been part of for over ten years saying she want's to put the band back together. Since our fiddler, Kay, is teaching school in Abu Dabi right now, I'm a little skeptical. But they say when one door closes, another opens. All I can do is stand in the hall and peek in the door that's open a crack and see if it's somewhere I want to go. (I'll take door number three, Monty!)

The other musical project, Paul and Tom's Green Band, is still going strong as far as getting tight. We've played two open mics to get our feet wet in front of an audiance and may have some other gigs coming up. Our violinist, Fiona Pace, is still getting settled with work and housing stuff, so she hasn't been able to practice as much as we'd like. We're willing to wait. Everyone waited for me when I was sick and Deb, our drummer had shoulder surgery right after we first met, so waiting for Fiona doesn't seem like a problem. The Green Band is mostly acoustic, so it's easy to do. Deb plays a stripped down drum kit and Tom plays a fretless electric through a small amp. I'm playing acoustic guitar so we aren't carrying tons of gear and can play anywhere from a living room to a theater. Throw up a few microphones and were ready to go.

In the meantime, I'll get out a few instruction videos and keep practicing. You can always improve. Geeze, now I have to remember how to play all of those mandolin parts for Lalla Rookh...

No comments: