Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I think of Thanksgiving as a Rastafarian holiday. Maybe it’s from years of listening to reggae music. There’s a Jimmy Cliff album called “Give Thanks” and the words “give thanks and praises” show up across the board in songs from Bob Marley to Toots and the Maytals.

So here we are on Thanksgiving Day giving praises to Jah for our abundance and blessings. In the attitude of gratitude, here’s a sampling of things I’m thankful for.

I’m still here!

I’ve survived relatively intact. I’ve got all of my fingers and toes and limbs and they all work.

Family and friends

“Good friends we’ve had,
good friends we’ve lost,
along the way.
In this great future,
you can’t forget your past
So dry your tears I say…”
-Vincent Ford


If it weren’t for my family and friends I’d be living in my car and celebrating the holidays at a rescue mission. Seriously. I’m not so good at keeping in touch with people from my past and I regret that, but I keep them in mind and hold them in my heart. And I’m thankful for the wisdom they’ve shared, the adventures we’ve had and the good and strange times.

Music

“One good thing about music
When it hits, you feel no pain…”
-Bob Marley

I can’t imagine a world without music. It’s given me so much inspiration, emotional shelter, and shared ecstasy. There’s nothing I love more then being on stage looking out at a room full of joyous dancing people. Many times I’ve been on the other side, dancing to a great band with the lyrics reflecting the things in my head. In my darkest times, often a song would give me the strength to carry on. I remember coming home from a live sound gig. I don’t remember what was bothering me, but I had a serious case of the blues. Instead of going to bed, I turned on the TV to unwind and Saturday Night Live was on. The musical guest was Jimmy Cliff who did a passionate version of “Many Rivers to Cross.” Tears rolled down my cheeks as all of the sadness and despair was washed away.

Good Food

The holy trinity for me is friends, music and food. There’s ritual involved, preparation, anticipation for the coming meal as stomachs growl and good smells drift in from the kitchen. Cooking for me is always an experiment. I never know how it will turn out. I can use the same recipe, same ingredients in the same kitchen and it will be different the next time I make it. I guess I cook like I play music. I like there to be structure, but I also like to improvise. A perfect holiday for me would be friends gathering together for a shared meal followed by a jam. I like pot luck’s because there are always surprises with dishes that I’d never dream of. Broccoli enchiladas come to mind. Sounds like some kid’s worse nightmare, doesn’t it. Wonderful. Thank you, Carol Rose where ever you are.

“Jah”

By whatever name you call the Great Spirit, the Primal Force, All That Is, Source or even if you’re not sure there’s anything else, I feel through my experience that this Universe we inhabit is vast and alive. What turns a seed into a tomato? I give thanks and praises to that Universal force that gives us the life and the abundance that we share today.

I’d like to give thanks to you for taking the time to read these words. I’m still finding my way with this. I appreciate the support and interest.



Give thanks and praises to the Most High
Give thanks and praises So High
He will not deceive us my brethren
He will lead us again
Oh take the veil from off your eyes
Look into the future of realize

When my soul was hurting deep within
And I’m worrying to be free, desperately
So guide and protect I and I, Oh Jah, Jah
Through all these ages
Guide and protect I and I, Oh Jah, Jah
Through all the stages

Give Thanks and Praises…
-Bob Marley

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Blessed Be, and Praise Dog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great words on Thanksgiving, Paul! I am enjoying your blog quite a bit! I am going to go home tonight and learn to play "Many Rivers to Cross" on my fiddle, I forgot how much I love that song, so thanks for the inspiration!